Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 31, 2024

Walking not football

Ellie was dropped off and the day began in the usual way. After seeing her to the classroom door, we came home. In my case, for breakfast, in Diane's to get ready for Pilates. We were short of players today, so there was no football. 

Diane took the car and headed for Angmering. I walked to the bus stop and caught the bus into Bognor Regis. My plan was to walk eastwards to the Lobster Pot and then double back as far as West Park before returning to catch the bus home. It didn't quite work out. Huge pipes have been installed at the mouth of Aldingbourne Rife (probably as part of the flood alleviation measures that were put in place over the last month or two). The route of the promenade was diverted through a park and along the side streets. I couldn't be bothered with that so performed a smart about turn and headed west.

The westward leg of the walk was into the wind. This made it a little chilly but upped the heart rate. As I approached the pier I remembered that I had read an article last week that explained the original edifice had been 1000 feet long. That's three times the length of the remaining structure. Like so many piers it has been plagued by winter storms, fires, lack of maintenance, and lack of investment. At least they seem to be renewing parts of the deck at the moment.

I carried on along the promenade and then crossed the road into Marine Gardens which took me all of the way to West Park, where I started my return journey.

I timed it to perfection. As I arrived back on Bognor High Street, a bus was waiting. I hopped on, and 10 minutes later I was home. 

Diane had stopped for tea and a chat after Pilates. It was quite a while before she arrived home. We had a quiet afternoon in the Lounge with our Kindles until it was time to collect Ellie from her after-school dance class. She came back with us for some dinner and has just been collected by Zoe (who managed to get away at a sensible time, today).

No comments: