Search This Blog

Friday, December 08, 2023

Early doors

 It was 04:04 and I was awake. I tried to settle, but couldn't. I was incensed by the fact that Royal Mail had accepted a contract from EE to deliver my new equipment within 24 hours. The equipment was dispatched on Tuesday evening.  It wasn't until Wednesday that it left Yorkshire. On Thursday morning I was told it would arrive by 19:00. At 17:38 the tracking system said it had been rescanned for delivery on Friday. So it had been in their system for 48 hours and still hadn't been delivered. What galled me was that an engineer was due to arrive at 10:00 on Friday to install the equipment that still had yet to arrive.

By 06:00 I gave up. I got up and went down for a coffee. At 08:00 I phoned the Royal Mail and after sitting on hold for 25 minutes got through to a chap with an indecipherable accent to ask if I could go and collect the errant delivery. He didn't seem to know or care and suggested I go to the Delivery Office and ask...

I tried to contact BT/EE and intercept the engineer. No luck. They couldn't make changes within 24 hours of the appointment.

I went to the Bognor delivery office. I finally met someone who cared. She listened to the problem, checked the status and saw it had just been loaded onto a van for delivery this afternoon. She charged out into the yard and stopped the van. The package was retrieved and handed over. I could breathe.

Diane went off to Cardiac Rehab and soon after she left, the engineer arrived and installed the kit. He wasn't here for more than 20 minutes and when he left I went around the house and checked the status of all of the WiFi and Ethernet-connected devices. Everything seems to be working and I seem to be getting a 930Mbps download speed with 110Mbps uploads. The best part is that I am getting all of this for £10 per month less than before.

The other major activity for the day has been to cook another batch of curry. It has been bubbling away quietly for 5 hours this afternoon and tastes fantastic. Seven further portions have been put into the freezer for subsequent weeks.

No comments: