Search This Blog

Sunday, December 24, 2023

All Go

 The day started with the weekly cousins' call. It was nice to see everyone and have a chance to wish them a Merry Christmas.

With the call over, I started preparing the Gammon for tomorrow. It started with several hours of simmering away in various spices and herbs.  Then it was drained and left to cool. The rind was removed and the fat scored. A honey-mustard glaze was poured over the joint and went into the oven for an hour. It is now wrapped in foil and I will carve it in the morning.

Diane, meanwhile, has been on a cleaning frenzy. As always when we have guests, every millimetre of the house is cleaned within a nanometre of its life.

While all this was going on I prepared a spreadsheet with tomorrow's menu. Each stage of the cooking was estimated and bit by bit, the start times emerged. All I need is about 27 different timers! I'm now all ready for the morning.


No comments: