Search This Blog

Saturday, September 21, 2024

Field of Gold

 Ellie stayed with us overnight. There was no need for the alarm clock. We could sleep as long as we wished. Unfortunately, Ellie wished to stir at 06:30 and so it was that 10 minutes later, she was watching Diane's iPad and I was downstairs making my first coffee of the day. Zoe came to collect her soon after 09:00, by which time I was on the weekly call with my cousins. The attendance was a bit sparse this week but it was the usual mix of gossip, reminiscences, and banter.

With the call over I finished reading the news and then set off for a walk. A couple of kilometres would be enough to take me over the 50 km mark for the month. I actually covered nearly 6 as I marched through the back streets listening to my audiobook.

Despite a yellow weather warning for heavy rain and thunderstorms, we have had a lovely day (though there was a little rain overnight). We made the most of the warm afternoon and sat in the Orangery with our Kindles.

I broke off, mid-afternoon, in order to prepare some rice for tomorrow's family lunch. (It's Kim's birthday and she has requested my Japanese-style chicken and Prawn rice). It is many years since I have made this and I no longer have the recipe. I thought I should get the rice cooked today and store it in the fridge so I can stir-fry it tomorrow. I may have overdone the quantities. Laying out the cooked yellow rice to cool took a work surface the size of a football pitch (without the lines and goals). Eventually, I found a large enough dish and managed to get it into the fridge.

No comments: