Search This Blog

Sunday, September 22, 2024

Celebration

Today was a day of celebration. Perhaps in anticipation, I woke early and was up and about before seven. It is Kim's Birthday and we were expecting her and Jon, Zoe and Ellie for lunch and there was food to prepare. In reality, with lunch not scheduled until 14:00, I had hours of spare time but I do like to be ahead of the game. After reading the news over breakfast, I grabbed my chopping boards and Japanese kitchen knives and set about various innocent vegetables, dicing them within a millimetre of their lives.

Zoe called. She had been feeling really rough over the weekend and was seeking a Covid testing kit. Sainsbury's didn't have any, but fortunately we did. She took the test and was all clear. She obviously just has a flu-like cold and because she is so tired, she's feeling worse. Ultimately, she decided not to come to lunch as she didn't want to pass anything on to the rest of us - particularly Kim who starts at Portsmouth University tomorrow. Ellie was dropped off, however, and she had lunch with us.

Lunch was a Japanese-styled chicken and prawn fried rice - requested by Kim. Knowing Jon isn't a great one for rice dishes, and Ellie isn't always keen on food combinations, I also roasted a chicken. It all went down very well and we were able to send a doggy bag to Zoe when Ellie went home. I still have half a metric tonne of rice in the fridge... I may have over-estimated!

It was lovely to see Kim on her Birthday and also to wish her all the best for the coming weeks at Uni.


No comments: