Search This Blog

Sunday, September 29, 2024

Diagnostics, Schedules, and Mirroring

I was pleasantly surprised to find it was 07:30 before I woke up. This was a positive lie-in for me! There was nothing startling on the day's agenda so we had a gentle start and leisurely breakfast.

I received an email from Ross, the heating engineer, asking several questions and offering to visit on Monday evening. I emptied the man cave to access the various pumps and manifolds. I then went through a diagnostic process that would illustrate the current problem and answer the questions posed. All the thermostats were lowered to the point that no heating zone was calling for heat - and the boiler was quiescent. Then I boosted the required temperature in one zone. Heat was requested, the valves started to open, the pump was on, and the boiler fired up for all of 30 seconds. Indicators implied the heating was on, but no heat arrived at the valve to warm the room. There is clearly a problem with the controller for the underfloor heating and how it communicates with the boiler. We need to schedule a visit from Ross (Monday is out, because so are we).

With the diagnostics complete, I spent some time setting up the heating schedules for each zone within the house. In the old days, this was a fiddly process performed by pressing buttons on each individual thermostat. Now I was able to use that app on my phone and set up my "Q3" heating schedules for each room. To make life even easier, I used the new iPhone mirroring feature and programmed the app from my MacBook using the keyboard and mouse. Most satisfactory! All of the schedules are ready to be instigated as soon as the heating is fixed.

I managed to go for a walk, though it was cut short by the surfeit of coffee I had consumed over breakfast.

After lunch, the Orangery had warmed sufficiently (through the warmth of the sun, not the heating) for us to sit out there and enjoy Kindle time.

No comments: