Search This Blog

Monday, June 17, 2024

Taking the Mic

There was a lovely bright start to the day and it was warming up nicely. I went to Zoe's to join the trek to school. I collected Ellie's iPad while there. She had been having some problems and I thought I would try and sort them out. When she tries to use Facetime, she can hear the person at the other end of the call but they cannot hear her. Using my friend Google I looked up various problems that had been reported and tried most of the fixes. None seemed to do the trick. I was not going to be eaten. I took a break for a cup of tea. Years of debugging have taught me to return to "first principles" if stuck. I carefully removed the iPad from its keyboard case. There, blocking the microphone was a small wodge (technical term) of paper that had been caught between the keyboard case and the iPad. The iPad was de-wodged. The mic was clear... and we had solved the problem.

While in the mood for debugging, I returned to the issue we had been having with Sky-Q. With the box now, apparently, working I was lulled into a false sense of security. We have now had three occasions when it has locked up and the fans have switched on to wind-tunnel mode. This is what I had been trying to cure with the replacement box. I returned to Google and thought back to when the issue started. This appears to have been when we switched from the BT hub to the EE hub for our Internet router. I added "EE" to my search - behold! I am not the only one. There seems to be a significant number of Sky-Q users who have had this problem since switching to EE. Unfortunately, nobody has come up with a solution yet.

After chatting with Trevor on WhatsApp we had downselected the river cruises I had researched. There were only 2 or 3 that would suit us. Di reviewed the details and we may have accidentally gone ahead and booked a trip on the Rhine next Spring.

I collected Ellie from school and we stopped off at the park on the way home. Once home she settled down to some homework which had been allocated online. I set up the Apple Pencil for her iPad and she was able to complete the work online.

No comments: