Search This Blog

Sunday, August 16, 2026

Home again

 After a decent (though not exceptional) night's sleep, we rose soon after seven. I showered, then made the tea and coffee that would keep us going until breakfast. We managed to get the packing finished and then headed down to the restaurant. Di concentrated on the continental breakfast, while I enjoyed a couple of poached eggs on some brown sourdough toast. 

Back in the room, I grabbed the cases and ferried them to the car, stopping to pay the bill on the way back. We started the car just after ten and headed out through Brockenhurst and Lyndhurst towards Cadnam and the M27. It was strange as we headed eastwards on the M27, with no westbound traffic. The road was, of course, still closed as a result of the fires. As we approached the last open junctions, it was clear that the tailbacks were significant and I was very glad we were eastbound.

The route home was, otherwise, unremarkable and even the Chichester traffic seemed benign. We unloaded and, after a cup of tea, unpacked. I then whizzed around to Sainsbury's to get some lamb shanks for dinner.

The afternoon has been spent quietly reading our Kindles in the lounge. Zoe phoned while I was preparing dinner, but had finished the call by the time I served up. I think we will be having a quiet evening before Ellie descends on us tomorrow morning.

No comments: