Search This Blog

Friday, August 28, 2026

Duck

We were up at about seven. After sorting out the little package that Jasper had left, I made the coffee and the tea. Di was eager to get going as she had to have breakfast in plenty of time for her Cardiac Rehab session.

Zoe turned up with Ellie at 08:30. Ellie was in a bubbly mood, but quite content to amuse herself. As Di left the house for her Cardiac session, I started on the week's pile of ironing.  I timed it to perfection, just putting everything away as Di returned.

This morning I read about a database called "duckdb". The write-up was very encouraging and triggered my design neurons. I spent an hour or two getting it installed on my MacBook. (The installation did not go smoothly, unlike the iMac, which was easy.) Once installed, I wrote some test code and was amazed by the speed of this database. This, my design neurons said, was a better way to complete the program I had been writing. The rest of the day was spent rewriting parts of the program, testing. and being amazed by how much faster it was when run.

Alongside all of this, there were the usual interruptions from Ellie and requests for snacks and drinks. All I really had to do was give permission, and she managed it all herself. Zoe collected her soon after 17:00, and she has a weekend with Pete before going back to school next Tuesday.

No comments: