Search This Blog

Monday, October 30, 2023

Slow Progress

There was a lot more rain overnight. Fortunately, by the time I walked around to Zoe's it had stopped. Zoe's voice was still absent without leave, so Ellie and I had a very quiet walk to school. 

All of the rain has caused the Aldingbourne Rife to flood. This has inundated the caravan park near the shops, the Tesco store is shut and its car park under several feet of water, and the flood is spreading. This has caused the Emergency Services to shut the A29 through the area as the water encroaches on an electricity substation. The knock-on effect is that Sainsbury's is closed because nobody can get to it.

After washing our floors this morning (which seems a bit heartless in retrospect) I walked into the village to get my hair cut. The rain held off, but I had to stay alert to dodge any traffic splashing through the puddles. Once home, I returned to the journals for the 1970s. This seems to be grinding very slowly. The latter years of the 1970s were very sparse, in terms of journal entries, but quite busy when I review my photo library. I am struggling with the temptation to write journal entries based on the photos... but they would not be contemporaneous observations.

We dug the soup maker out of the cupboard and made our first soup of the season, for lunch. I was a little apprehensive as I couldn't remember the exact recipes I used last year. I need not have worried. It was excellent - parsnip, red pepper, carrot, butternut squash, sweet potato and onion.

The afternoon was spent with my book while Diane plodded onwards with her sewing pattern.

No comments: