Search This Blog

Thursday, July 04, 2024

A Decade, Really?

 It is a day of celebration. Indeed our American cousins get rather over-excited, but I'm flattered that they make so much fuss to celebrate the anniversary of my retirement. It's 10 years ago today that I dropped out of the rat race and I have never looked back. I miss many of my colleagues and some of my clients but I do not miss the work, the lost nights, the lost weekends, the pointless conference calls, and being away from home so much. Having said that, that was what paid for a comfortable retirement.

I was up early to start the celebrations by greeting Ellie as she was dropped off. I made her a festive breakfast of strawberries and cherries with a marmite crumpet to follow. Once she was washed and dressed, she continued the celebration with some cheerleading in the lounge until it was time for school. 

We dropped her at the classroom door and headed straight to the Polling Station to cast our vote. We are pessimistic about the result, but we have done our bit. 

Back home we settled down for breakfast and then we popped to the pharmacy and then M&S. There were a few bits to collect. Once home, I returned to the Excel program that I wrote last week to find the best meeting point for a group of people. I decided to add some code so that it calculates the distance for each person to travel to get to the calculated meeting point. It took a little longer than expected to get the code working and I still have an anomaly when two sets of people live within a couple of miles of each other. I will return to that another day.

While I was faffing with Excel, Di was tidying up some shrubs in the front garden.

The afternoon saw the usual Kindle time before we went to collect Ellie from school. Plans have changed. She was due to stay with us overnight, but Darren is no longer needed in Folkestone, so he can drop her off as usual.

Meanwhile, I must return to my retirement... there's so much to do!

No comments: