I was up soon after seven. Yes, I admit it. I was lazy. I sorted out some tea for Diane and settled down with a coffee and the overnight news. When Di came down (a coffee was ready for her), I went up to shower and dress before the usual call with my cousins.
After the call, I settled down to experiment. ChatGPT held my hand as I installed Docker Desktop on the iMac, and then we spent a couple of hours (or so) installing Immich in the Docker container. Immich is an open-source (free) photo library manager. In the work that I am doing to ensure my family have everything they need to know when I have gone, I realised that the current "Adobe Lightroom" is a monthly expense they don't really need. So I asked what the alternatives might be. Immich came out as the best alternative. With Docker ready to receive Immich, I paused.
Zoe came round. She had bought Ellie a new iPhone and wanted me to put a screen protector on. We sat and chatted as I sorted out the protector. We also added WhatsApp and made sure that the "Find My" location app allowed us to see where Ellie was. It took a bit longer than we had expected, but once it was done, Zoe took the new phone across to Ellie (as she is going away with Pete for the next week).
I returned to Immich. It took most of the afternoon to install and test each feature. Eventually, it was in total control of a test folder filled with random photos and videos from the last 10 years. It's not perfect, but it is pretty close to it. If only it would import the facial recognition data from Adobe Lightroom. I have left that as a challenge for ChatGPT to solve (even though I expect I will have to write some code if we decide it is feasible). I want to solve as many problems as possible before I let it loose on my full photo library of nearly 90,000 photos and videos.
No comments:
Post a Comment