Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 12, 2023

In praise of lists

 Ellie was dropped off, just before 08:00. Zoe had got her ready for school so we just had to entertain her for 30 minutes before the walk to school. As she hadn't done any reading last night, I was determined she should do some reading before school. She, however, was determined that she wouldn't. She won that skirmish, but won't win the war.

Diane was meant to go to Cardiac Rehab. At the last minute, we received a phone call to inform us that the session had been cancelled as the hall was too hot. This freed up a couple of hours, unexpectedly. Diane made the most of it pottering. with her packing. I cracked on with my planned chores which consumed much of the morning. After a bite of lunch, Diane had her regular blood test and then an appointment at the dentist and hygienist.

During Diane's dental appointments, I retrieved the suitcases and started to work through my well-refined Packing Lists (each time I use the list and make any changes, I copy it forward for our next trip). This trip is complex because it requires formal dress, casual dress, warm and wet weather dress, and everything in between. It has taken a couple of hours, but with the exception of toiletries, I'm done.

In addition to the packing list, I have a "Preparation List" which includes such arcane items as passports, tickets, insurance, switching off the heating, emptying the fridge, taking Jasper to the Cattery... and a host of other items. That list is nearly complete.

No comments: