Search This Blog

Friday, March 01, 2024

Random Numbers

After the mandatory coffee and a brief run through the news, I went to Zoe's to do the school run. It was still slightly wet after some heavy overnight rain and there was a bitterly cold wind. I was glad I~ was wearing my heavy jacket.

Back home, I had breakfast while Di headed to the Community Centre for her Cardiac rehab session.  I checked the bus timetables and at a suitable moment left to get the bus to Chichester. Rain was still sporadic, but when it fell it was heavy (in Littlehampton it fell as hail). In Chichester, I made myself comfortable in the chair at the dental hygienist. She was late starting, but once properly prepared with safety goggles, a canary in a cage, a helmet lamp, and protective gloves she started mining in my mouth. After 30 minutes of prodding, washing, sucking, probing, scraping and sandblasting, I was given a clean bill of health. I paid the bill and left.

As I approached the bus stop, a bus drove away. Not to worry, the next bus was due in 14 minutes. I waited. After 10 minutes, the live display told me the next bus was now only 4 minutes away. 10 minutes later the bus was still 4 minutes away. So it continued. I got a text from Di and explained that I only had 4 minutes to wait... but those 4 minutes seemed to be part of a wormhole that stretched to infinity. As I responded, 4 minutes changed to 3 minutes, and then 2 minutes. At last, the bus was near. No, it wasn't. It only had about half a mile to travel from the depot, traffic was light, but still it took a further 5 or 6 minutes to arrive.

Once aboard I was home in no time. I have no problem (honestly) with buses being late. What I deeply resent is information boards that blatantly lie or use a random number generator to keep you on your cold wet toes.

Quiet afternoon with the Kindle until it was time to collect Ellie. She wasn't with us for long as we had arranged for Pete to collect her early. We had to get Jasper back to the vet. We had the usual trouble digging him out from under the bed and depositing him in his carrier. Once there, we had no further trouble (except his incessant whining). Needless to say, there is some carpet to clean up. At least the vet was happy with him and said how well he was doing considering his age (a statement we can all relate to).

No comments: