Search This Blog

Saturday, March 16, 2024

Crew

 There was a gentle start to the day. Caffeine was absorbed and porridge was consumed. I settled in the study for my call with the cousins. The call seemed less boisterous than many, but it was fun to chat and to stay in touch.

I spent some time looking at specifications for various new cars. I'm not seriously considering a purchase but I'm aware that the road tax changes for April 2025 will impose Tax on EVs. Now, currently, there is a luxury vehicle tax on any car over 40K and this is payable for years 2-5 after purchase. Most EV's that we would consider cost well over 40K - but as long as we get one before April 2025 we can avoid these taxes. As I said, I'm not seriously considering a purchase, but I thought I'd do the research. (If you are interested, the two cars that I configured were the Skoda Enyaq 85 and the Hyundai Ioniq 5).

What we didn't know, at this point, was the total meltdown that was underway at Sainsbury's. IT systems had failed, taking out the online deliveries, the tills, the Smartshop, the headsets, and everything else that makes the stores tick. Zoe was at the heart of this in her store, trying to keep the place running. She phoned us in the early evening and was still on an adrenalin high as she related the story.

Oblivious to the drama at Sainsbury's (not that we could have done anything to help) we went into Chichester with Chris and Maureen. We met up with Ian and Trudy at The Giggling Squid for a long-awaited Sonning Crew lunch. It was ostensibly to celebrate Maureen's birthday (last week) but really was just a long-missed get-together. We had a lovely meal, though Ian was suffering a bit from colitis which rather stymied his choices. We sat and chatted for several hours before paying the bill and heading home.

No comments: