Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Diving: 2

The boat approached and they threw a line to drag us to the stern and allow us to remove our flippers and climb aboard. Not the easiest of tasks when wearing a weight belt and a scuba tank, but achieved with the grace a dignity you would expect of a sporting icon such as the Gorse Fox.

That was where it all went a bit wrong. The Gorse Fox has always had an immense dislike for diesel fumes. n the enclosed area of the wet deck, with boat trying to hold station the intensity was too much and before he knew what he was doing the Gorse Fox was hanging over the side, sharing his breakfast with the fishes.

He headed upstairs onto the more open deck above, and sat there whilst he recovered his dignity and control over his stomach. Once all the divers were on board, the boat headed away to Phi Phi Ley where it stopped for us to rest and take lunch. We stopped at Maya Bay, the bay made famous by the film The Beach.

Unfortunately, its popularity as a tourist site has meant that the bay is overrun with speed boats and tourist craft, though it is still clear that it is a very beautiful spot - and no development is allowed - so it remains uninhabited. For lunch, the Gorse Fox limited his intake to some Coca Cola and a Massaman Curry.

Soon we were on the move again and moved round from Maya Bay to dive a site just round the corner. it had been chosen for Urban-cub as she wanted to see turtles - and this was the most likely dive site to see them.

Everyone prepared as before - except the Gorse Fox. because of his reaction to the diesel fumes he put his weight bel on upstairs, quickly suited up in his BCD and started breathing through the regulator immediately. He was fast-tracked to the back of the boat and was one of the first in, along with Cousteau-cub.

Urban-cub and the Coventry Hobbit dropped into the water and the second dive commenced. this was a more barren site. The hard coral was less colourful and the selection of fish not as extensive and search though we may, we were unable to find a turtle - even though others did! Again the time whizzed by and and the tanks slowly emptied so that after about 45 minutes we popped up to the surface to await the boat.

Aware of the impact of diesel fumes, the Gorse Fox hurtled through the wet room, removing his equipment as he went, then straight up to the top deck where he could sit in the open. It worked. No further mishaps.

Once we had finished rounding up the divers, we set a course for Koh Lanta and headed home.

No comments: