Search This Blog

Friday, February 18, 2011

Going to the top

The Gorse Fox woke up with something on his mind. Fingers flew over the keyboard and next this he know he had written to the Prime Minister:

Dear Mr Cameron

I suppose that in times like these you rarely get a letter or comment that says "Well done". I would like to put that right. I think that the way in which the recent issue regarding sale of forestry land was handled was excellent. Why? Because the Government proposed a public consultation, listened to the response, and changed the proposal. Best of all, Ms Spelman, on behalf of the Government, had sufficient backbone to say "We listened, we got it wrong, and we will not pursue this course of action". How refreshing that we were not bombarded with spin explaining why the public was wrong and the Government was going ahead anyway.

I once worked for a CEO who said he would make decisions and make mistakes. He would admit when they were mistakes, and we would adapt. In a time like this, when the probity of Government is under continual attack, honesty such as this is is just what's needed.

(As a footnote, I should probably add that I did not have strong feelings either way on the forestry issue - so my response is not brought about just because of the change in policy).

Yours Sincerely

Well, credit where it is due! Peter Bottomley gave a ministerial answer once saying, "I'm sorry, I made a mistake." That was not duplicated once during the 13 years of the Labour Government. (But then they would never make a mistake would they? Iraq, sale of gold, budget deficit, destruction of pension, unfettered immigration, Lisbon Treaty, ECHR… no nothing there to apologise for!!!)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Although too young to take part, I recall that there was a referendum to join the Common Market as it was in the '70s. So I think the blame for woes of the European Union need to spread a little wider than Government. It was the Nation that took us down this road.
I was too young to make my mark so hold you and older generations responsible for the lack of bendy cucumbers and a surplus of Polish Plumbers.

The Gorse Fox said...

Well the Gorse Fox did vote in that referendum... but would point out that it was NOT for a European Union but was for a European Common Market. So we voted for a trading bloc, not for a new government.

Anonymous said...

Well perhaps you should have read the small print before you voted :-)

I least I now know who to blame for the aforementioned cucumber and Plumber issues.