Search This Blog

Saturday, December 04, 2004

The word for today is: Saturday

It's very still outside. Mottled grey clouds seem to bubble-wrap the county, the sea appears to merge with the sky leaving no discernible horizon. No sound breaks the stillness, not a wave on the beach, not a bird in the garden, nor vehicle nearby. It is silent.

Still waiting for a call from Caffyn's regarding car. Must say, the Gorse Fox is a little narked by the fact that they didn't know they needed this special fluid, until they started the job. Then they find that there is none in stock, nor in the area, so have to order it centrally. They've offered me a courtesy car, which I may have to take if they don't finish the job this morning.

Well finally, I called Caffyns. Obviously they weren't going to call me despite my request last night that they should call mid-morning to let me know what is going on. They are making no attempt to complete the car today, they knew last night that the fluid was not going to be available until Monday - but didn't tell me. However they will condescend to give me a courtesy car as long as it's back on Monday evening... I immediately told them this was unacceptable. I may not get back until late Monday, and that is their problem. (Will make every effort to get car back on Monday, because I want my car back).

The Silver Vixen is off to a meeting of her coven this afternoon. She was frantically sewing patchwork samosas until we went to be last night, so she is well prepared for day's activities.

Interesting article about speed cameras causght my eye:
Speed Cameras Still Don't Work. Somewhat proves that these irritating facets of everyday life are nothing but revenue generators, and add no value to the road safety argument.

Personally, I think there is SOME value in some strategically placed cameras, but I also believe that speed limits should vary according to the road conditions. Certainly driving along empty dual carriagways in the evening with a limit of, say 50mph, when it would be totatly safe to be cruising at 70mph is just stupid.


Went for a long walk in the afternoon. Headed off eastwards, but stopped to chat with Max for a while. Then got going again, first along the greensward, then round the cafe and along the path in Ferring passing the beach huts towards Ferring Gap.


Fishing boat, on the beach at Ferring Posted by Hello

The sea was still as calm as a millpond, but the obscure and the odd still amused me. Soon after passing some small boats pulled up and moored on the beach I saw the following...


Fishing barrow, on the beach at Ferring. Note the anchors, and the careful mooring to make sure the barrow is secure!!! Posted by Hello

When I got as far as the the end of King George V Avenue I turned around and headed back. Not sure how far that was, in all, but it took about 50 minutes to walk back.

This caught my eye:

Pulley and chain left to rust on the beach Posted by Hello

Cousteau-cub called while I was walking back to gloat about another 4-0 win for Chelsea today. She was in Worthing shopping with Urban-cub and Sir Lancinglot. He got Urban-cub to phone and gloat about Liverpool's win over Spurs during the week.

Good result all round. The Silver Vixen had a super time with her coven. She did sevarl workshops and came back with various bits and pieces... including a very nice box that she had made. And to round the day off, Spurs won at Blackburn. Excellent.

No comments: